Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm only washing this hand because I'm pretty sure he's washed his.

We moved into our new offices this week. I'll get pictures this weekend. There's lots of glass. I'm told that the offices in the NBC show "Numb3rs" might be an apt analogy; maybe also Superman's Fortress of Solitude except....

New offices mean people.

Yes,
I get to work with people now!
We may even have group meetings.
It's very exciting.

A part of all this excitement involved a tour of the new facilities by Professor George Smoot. He's the Nobel Laureate who signed on to direct this rag-tag bunch of plucky and individualistic physicists. I got to meet him today. He got the Nobel Prize for his work on COBE, the satellite that first observed the anisotropies in the Cosmic Microwave Background. That's one of four observations that make my work at all possible. The other three are (in chronological order): Edwin Hubble discovering that the Universe is expanding ("and, once again, the rest of humanity is made to look stupid by a Swiss patent clerk"); Penzias and Wilson discovering the CMB ("that's not bird crap, it's a space...thing"), and the Supernova Cosmology Project/High-Z Supernova Team (depending on which side of the "I want a Nobel Prize so bad, I will cut you" fight currently going on in the hallowed halls of academia) discovering that the universe is not only expanding, it's accelerating ("Gravity, UR doin' it wrong"). Heady stuff, but not heady enough to sacrifice personal hygiene. However, according to this link, George Smoot, PhD made a guest appearance on an episode of "the Big Bang theory" which also guest-starred Summer Glau. And I shook his hand. I'm now two degrees of separation away from Summer Glau which makes me three degrees of separation away from.... wait for it.... Joss Whedon!

This is for all you people who fear that my blog is degenerating into a "Lord of the Rings" fanboy convention. Fans of "Buffy" an "Firefly" are welcome here, too (fans of "Angel".... we'll just agree not to talk about it).

Seriously, though:
New office. Pictures coming.

2 comments:

  1. We like new offices. And people. And famous people that make our work possible.

    :)

    We like pictures, too.

    -Ris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos! We awaits them eagerlies!

    Also: how's Prof. Smoot as a fearless leader? What's he like as a speaker?

    ReplyDelete