Saturday, November 28, 2009

Oh, Canada!

One of the windfalls of Rebecca's visit was that, flipping through the "Lonely Planet" book she got me before I left, we found the paragraph about the supermarket with the widest selection of western goods in town. After she left, I tracked it down and was delighted to find that they carry not only oatmeal and raisins (of which my parents and Rebecca had bee shipping me replenishments every few weeks) they carry...

...Canadian maple syrup (at about $50 a liter, which is only twice what I remember paying for it back in New Hampshire! Al Gore hates me right now. Kernoff's probably not too pleased, either). I returned there this weekend to actually buy a jug (I thought I could do without at first, but there is no methadone for the maple junkie). As I wandered through the aisles trying to decide if I needed anything else, I noticed that (unlike the last time I was there) they also had a supply of Tillamook cheeses (for those of you reading because you met me in New Hampshire and not named John Turner, Tillamook is the Cabot of the Pacific Northwest). It was shelved just beneath this:



I checked the ingredients list. It is what it says it is. Though, in keeping with the "eating is a non-local phenomenon" theme of the store/this post, this packet came from Spain.

2 comments:

  1. Hail Maple, mother of sweetness. Blessed art thou among deciduous trees, and blessed is the fruit of thy phloem, syrup.

    Congrats on the finds. I like that the squid ink doesn't just say squid ink, but "squid ink flavor ingredient." Sounds like squid ink plus msg to me...

    A belated Happy American Thanksgiving to you! (Beth and I were in Canada this weekend, and everyone kept saying, "Ah right, it's American Thanksgiving weekend, eh?")

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. (Even though I know that the real reason you bought the syrup was in order to properly recreate the experience of watching the-movie-that-shall-not-be-named while eating the appropriate breakfast food.) Anyhow, I'm glad you're posting again! :)

    ReplyDelete