Sunday, November 22, 2009

time and distance

One day, during my first year at Dartmouth, I was putzing around the kitchen in my Whitman College T-shirt when my Chinese (as in, at this point, he'd been in the US for a handful of months) roommate came down the stairs. He looked at my shirt and said, "ah, you went to White Man College?" This was especially awkward, because some of us actually called it that behind its back.

This morning, as I was getting my morning coffee, Kyung Kiu noticed my Dartmouth College travel mug and commented on the seal. I started explaining it to him: "See, this is supposed to be an Indian, and here's the Bible beaming down knowledge..."

The history of Western academia is messed up.

Errata: It's also possible that I'm the one who is messed up (see the comment section)

3 comments:

  1. Your statement, with parentheses removed:

    "when my Chinese came down..."

    So, yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ach, Charles beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. upvote for funniest post this blog history so far.

    ReplyDelete